Grey Projects is inviting applicants for a 65-day artist residency in Yamaguchi, Japan with Akiyoshidai International Art Village (AIAV).
This residency is an exchange programme between Grey Projects and AIAV, in conjunction with their Residence Support Program ‘trans_2019-2020’.
In response to the ‘trans_2019-2020’ theme of ‘Live Together with This Land’, participating artists are expected to bring new ideas to the local culture and people, while they in turn will hopefully acquire new perspectives through these encounters. The residency will include field trips, an open studio and exhibition, talk/workshop, as well as other activities with the local community.
The residency will take place from 8 January – 12 March 2020. In addition to accommodation and workspace, airfare and a modest production fee will be provided. For more information about the accommodation and workspace, please visit: https://aiav.jp/en/6967/
- Jan 8 (Wed)– Start of programme (1st day)
- Jan 9 (Thu) – Orientation
- Jan 26 (Sun) – Open Studio
- Feb 29 (Sat) – Opening Reception
- Mar 1 (Sun) to Mar 8 (Mon) – Exhibition
- Mar 12 (Thu) – End of programme (last day)
Lectures, workshops, and/or talks will be scheduled separately.
Upon completion, presentation opportunities back in Singapore are independently determined with the resident, and they may be expected to make a presentation about their residency experience.
Please note that the AIAV Residency is only open to Singaporeans and Permanent Residents.
To apply, please send to residencies(at)greyprojects.org:
- A CV (3 pages max)
- 10-12 images of recent work in a PDF file of under 5Mb (press/media clippings of past exhibitions can be included)
- A residency project/research proposal of no more than 1 page in length. Supporting materials for the proposal, such as drawings, snapshots, sketches, and video clips can be included, but are not mandatory. Proposal and supporting materials (if any) should not exceed 3Mb/3 pages in total.
Deadline for applications is 16 July 2019.