Grey Projects is inviting applicants for a 65-day artist residency in Japan, with our latest residency partner Akiyoshidai International Art Village (AIAV).
This residency is an exchange programme between Grey Projects and AIAV, in conjunction with their Residence Support Program ‘trans_2018-2019’.
In response to the ‘trans_2018-2019’ theme of ‘The Future of This Land’, participating artists are expected to bring new ideas to the local culture and people, while they in turn will hopefully acquire new perspectives through these encounters. The residency will include field trips, an open studio, talk/workshop, as well as other activities with the local community. The successful applicant will also be expected to participate in an exhibition at AIAV, alongside other artists-in-residence.
The residency will take place from 9 January to 14 March 2019, and in addition to accommodation and workspace, airfare and a modest production fee will be provided.
- Jan 9 (Wed)– Start of programme (1st day)
- Jan 10 (Thu) – Orientation
- Jan 27 (Sun) – Open Studio
- Feb 23 (Sat) – Opening Reception
- Feb 24 (Sun) to Mar 10 (Mon) – Exhibition
- Mar 14 (Thu) – End of programme (last day)
Lectures, workshops, and/or talks will be scheduled separately.
Upon completion, presentation opportunities back in Singapore are independently determined with the resident, and they may be expected to make a presentation about their residency experience.
Please note that the AIAV Residency is only open to Singaporeans and Permanent Residents.
To apply, please send to residencies(at)greyprojects.org:
- A CV (3 pages max)
- 10-12 images of recent work in a PDF file of under 5Mb (press/media clippings of past exhibitions can be included)
- A residency project/research proposal of no more than 1 page in length. Supporting materials for the proposal, such as drawings, snapshots, sketches, and video clips can be included, but are not mandatory. Proposal and supporting materials (if any) should not exceed 3Mb/3 pages in total.
Deadline for applications is 31 August 2018.
Akiyoshidai International Art Village
Since its inauguration in 1998, Akiyoshidai International Art Village (AIAV)
has provided a platform for cultural and philosophical exchange between artists-in-residence and supports a variety of art forms and cultural activities. They aim to support experimental artistic activities, crossing the borders of art disciplines and nationalities through their residency programme.
AIAV is located in Yamaguchi, far from the hustle and bustle of the city and surrounded by natural resources. The main hall has a capacity of approximately 300 and its residence hall can house 100. The village also features a restaurant, seminar room, studios, gallery and café. Additional facilities include a concert hall, amphitheatre, outdoor stage and a darkroom.